Friday, October 14, 2011

After the honeymoon...

We've had Devin a little over a week.  For the most part he has been a really good dog with a great disposition.  But, the thrill of a new pup is now over.  Not only has Devin gotten used to his new family and living arrangements, but we are so over his high activity.
He has discovered squirrels.  He runs from window to window looking for them, which gets him overly excited.
1. Work on being calm in the house/RV.
When we first got him, he actually didn't pull too badly.  He had a taught leash, but didn't drag us down the road.  But now that he's discovered squirrels and all the new daily smells, he has become quite the puller.  We are now using the gentle leader which works wonders.  Devin must has been trained on this by his previous family, because he seems to know to slip his nose into it and doesn't fight to get it off until he is back inside.  Even though the gentle leader works great, I feel we are not teaching him to heel.
2. Teach to heal.
After letting Devin run around the dog park and then also bringing him to the pond and jump through the pond and run around it for an hour, I thought he'd be calm enough to start "heel" training.  Got some yummy, smelling, bad for you treats, but Devin is so distracted by squirrels, that he pays no attention to me nor the treats.  He's going to be a tough one to train.
He also wouldn't come to me while at the pond.  I don't want to say "come" and have him disobey, so I just wait for him to get close to me.  I pet him, let him go. I do that a couple of times, so he doesn't associate coming to me with being leashed up. When I was ready to leave, he of course, wasn't.  So I took Lyla and walked down the path hoping he'd be worried we left. It took about 10 minutes and he finally was concerned that we were gone.  I was finally able to leash him.
3. Train recall.
So after 1/2 hour at dog park, 1 hour at pond and then another hour at the dog park, he FINALLY calmed down enough to walk nicely on a leash.
4. DRINKS LOTS OF WINE!
I am drinking a glass right now as I type.  I'm feeling much better.
Lyla is sleeping, Devin is sleeping and Debbie is drinking.

No comments: